04 August 2009

On PowerPoint yet again

(Only available to UK readers) PowerPoint features strongly (well, prominently, at least) in this edition of "Word of Mouth" on BBC Radio Four which should be available for a week, shortly. It covers an army officer talking about how dangerous it is as a tool of miscommunication (shades of Edward Tufte), and Richard Mayer discussing cognitive load and how it affects learning (too complicated for a simple link--but I may manage a page on it some time) as well PowerPoint Karaoke at a pub in Leeds. The latter has some mention of how it might be used to help people to develop their presentation skills; it consists of simply asking participants, out of the blue, to give a talk around a PP presentation about something they know nothing about and have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but I am afraid I have had to turn moderation back on, because of inappropriate use. Even so, I shall process them as soon as I can.